TwoEyes

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Death is Nothing at All


Death is nothing at all


I have only slipped away into the next room


I am I and you are you


Whatever we were to each other


That we are still


Call me by my old familiar name


Speak to me in the easy way you always used


Put no difference into your tone


Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow


Laugh as we always laughed


At the little jokes we always enjoyed together


Play, smile, think of me, pray for me


Let my name be ever the household word that it always was


Let it be spoken without effort


Without the ghost of a shadow in it


Life means all that it ever meant


It is the same as it ever was


There is absolute unbroken continuity


What is death but a negligible accident?


Why should I be out of mind


Because I am out of sight?


I am waiting for you for an interval


Somewhere very near


Just around the corner


All is well.


Nothing is past; nothing is lost


One brief moment and all will be as it was before


How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!


Canon Henry Scott-Holland, 1847-1918, Canon of St Paul's Cathedral

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home